If playing online slots is your favourite pastime, you must know the math model responsible for the payout percentage of every spin. RTP and volatility are two important attributes of online slot games that affect their overall performance. When playing for real money, Wizard Slots has interesting slot titles of various volatility and RTPs accommodating players of all preferences.
This review will focus on the slot's volatility or, more precisely, low volatility online slots. Slots variance or volatility differ from one slot to another. Still, they usually don't directly affect the theme and bonus features, but they directly affect the winning value. Read this review through, and you'll find all about:
- Explaining slot's volatility in straightforward terms.
- Slot's Volatility: How to determine and calculate
- Popular low-variance slots players must try this winter.
Explaining Slot's Volatility In Easy Terms
Don't get confused if you read variance instead of volatility at some point, as both determine the slot's behaviours and payout frequency, but with slight differences. It also determines the risk involved and the amount paid out to the players. In simple terms, a slot's volatility determines the risk level of playing an online slot, whether it's high, medium or low.
Types of Slot's Variance:
Online slots' volatility comes in 3 types:
- High Volatility: Suits players with high budgets and offer high value win less frequency
- Medium Volatility: Suits players with medium budgets and offer medium winning value with no high or low frequency
- Low Volatility: Perfect option for low-budget players and offer low winning value but more frequently than other high and medium categories.
As we are focusing on low volatility slots, the checklist below will give you a sign of whether low volatility slots suit your preference.
- You prefer playing slots with a low bankroll
- You want to have fun while winning cash
- Do you like playing extended sessions?
- You prefer often winning even with a smaller win value
- You don't like to wait to trigger bonus features
- You are new to the online casino industry
- You are not a big risk-taking player
Slots Volatility: How to Determine and Calculate?
It's easy to find the RTP of the slot games from the paytable, but usually, slot providers don't mention official volatility. It's up to players or experts like us to review the slot's different aspects to calculate its volatility. There are different ways to calculate slot's volatility. However, you cannot determine the statistical value of the variance, but you can place them in broad categories. Here are some of the slot's aspects that help in determining and calculating the volatility.
Volatility and Payouts
To determine the volatility of slots, the best indication is its payout. Open the slot game's paytable and calculate the difference between the symbol's 4 and 5 of a kind payout. If the difference is small, it indicates low volatility. For Example, Starburst's highest paying symbols are the BAR, and the payout difference between 4 of a kind and 5 of a kind is only 50, which places the slot in the low volatility category. The larger the difference, the higher its volatility.
Volatility and RTP
Generally speaking, the higher the RTP, the lower the volatility of the slot. However, it's not a hard and fast rule, and players must check other indications to confirm. The RTP of the slot is calculated over hundreds of spins, and even high volatile slots create a winning way above or below the stated RTP. When playing with lower volatility, the fluctuations are not extreme.
Volatility and Jackpot Round
Check the slot games you are playing for jackpots is another indication to determine the volatility. Usually, low volatility slots don't feature jackpot rounds, whereas medium variance slot games have average size jackpots, and the huge jackpot falls in the high volatility category.
Volatility and Bet Size
Usually, highly volatile slots have lower betting ranges because they already have huge winning potential. Whereas low volatility slots often have large bets as the winning values are small, that doesn't make an issue.
Popular Low-Variance Slots Players Must Try This Winter
Avid gamblers advise beginners to start their gambling journey with low volatility slot games, as these slots limit their loss and offer extended sessions with low winning values. Betting with a few dollars can extend to hours of reel spinning in the slots.
You can play tons of low volatility slot games on Wizard Slots Casino, starting with our welcome offer to win up to 500 free spins on low volatility Starburst slot on your first deposit (Full Ts and Cs Apply). Here are some of the most popular low variance slots on the online casino.
- Sunny Shores: The Yggdrasil slot title is a fantastic addition to the low volatility category, rewarding smaller but frequent wins to keep players entertained for a long time. The 5 reel slot has 27 pay lines and a few bonus features, including multipliers, expanding wild and respins
- Thunderstruck II: It's a popular Microgaming slot game and sequel to the blockbuster online slot Thunderstruck. The 5 reels of low volatility have captivated players with their 243 winning ways and bonus features. You can play long sessions on this 96.1% RTP slot game.
- Hit in Vegas: The Microgaming slot title with Vegas then unfolding on 5 reels and 40 paylines. The slot game has low volatility, rewarding frequent wins in low values and triggering frequent free spins and bonus rounds.
- Enchanted Garden II: Real Time Gaming has a reputation for providing outstanding slot games, and the Enchanted Garden sequel is one of the finest works. The 5 reels, 25 payline slots with wild and scatter symbols offer frequent wins as a low variance slot, and the frequent modest wins keep players satisfied for a long time.
- Starburst: One of the most popular low volatility slot games in the casino industry is Starburst by NetEnt. The slot doesn't offer much in the bonus rounds, but its easy gameplay and frequent wins are eight to collect a decent winning amount.
- Bloodsuckers II: It's a NetEnt production that has become a prime title in many online casinos. The slot game is the modified version of its predecessor and offers frequent winning chances to players. You can play on 5 reels and 25 payline along with lucrative bonus features and a high RTP of 97% that goes exceptionally well with low variance.
Is playing Low Volatility Slots a Wise Decision?
Your decision to play low volatility slots must be based on your preferences. Low volatility slots are not your type if you like taking big risks and having fun chasing huge jackpots.
Low variance slots are perfect for players who are not keen on playing multi-million jackpots and complicated bonus features. These low key slots offer low-cost rewards, extended sessions, and simple bonus features. If you are tight on budget and want to last on a slot game, try a low volatility slot, and you may last £50 for many hours. However, £50 won't last much longer on slot games with massive jackpot multiple bonus features.
Low volatility mixed with low bet is a concoction for extended gameplay, and on the bright side, small wagers expose players less to the casino house edge and reduce losses.
In the end, online slots have a never-ending option that accommodates players of all preferences. It's best to understand the math model of slot games before wagering money with real money.
Advantages of Playing Low Volatility Slots
There are several advantages of playing low volatility slot games compared with highly volatile slots with explosive payouts. The key phrase of these slots is STEADIER payout than other volatilities. The significant benefits of low variance slot games are:
- Frequent Wins: The majority of players opt for low variance slot games for their frequent win tendency. Nobody likes to spin the slot reels 10 times for nothing, especially when playing with jackpot slot games. Low volatility slots offer frequent wins but in low value compared to high variance slot games.
- Easy to Manage Bankroll: Bankroll management is challenging due to the uncertainty factor of slot machines; however, when playing with low variance slots, the process becomes somewhat easier.
- Low scale emotional baggage: Losing money on online slots is nerve-wracking, and players often get frustrated or depressed, losing £500 in a few hours. Slot games with low variance offer a stable payout structure, an excellent way to fight random results and emotional swings.
- Extended sessions in online casinos: The major drawback of high volatility slots is that you lose more within a few hours, which leaves you hoping to score a big hit to compensate for your loss. Low volatility slots are perfect for lasting your funds for an extended time, and a steady payout stream will sustain your bankroll for an extended time.
Low Variance Slots Best Gaming Providers Online
With online slot games, there is no shortage of gaming providers. Some are labelled as trendsetters in the online casino market that are new to the industry but attempting to earn a solid reputation. Top-notch or new Wizard Slots only features the best products of the casino industry regardless of their age. Some of the well-known names in the low volatility slot providers are:
- NetEnt is the premium brand in the online casino industry and is most famous for its low variance slot, Starburst. The gaming provider is a top brand in the industry and produces slots of all volatility.
- Microgaming is the pioneer of the online casino world and has produced remarkable low variance slots like Thunderstruck II with fantastic bonus features.
Besides these leading developers, other providers include Aristocrat, Playtech, Pragmatic Play and many more.
Low Variance Slot Finale
Volatility plays an irritant role in determining the payout structure of a slot game. Before playing, it's wise to decide on the volatility to ensure what to expect to win frequency and value. Overall, where low volatility has benefits, other variances are equally beneficial depending on the players’ playing. Your slots preference is the only deciding factor when it comes to volatility.
Any Free Spins/Welcome Bonuses References are subject to the following: NEW PLAYERS ONLY, MIN DEPOSIT £10, MAX BONUS EQUAL TO LIFETIME DEPOSITS (UP TO £250), 65X WAGERING REQUIREMENTS AND FULL T&CS APPLY.
All values (Bet Levels, Maximum Win, etc.) mentioned about these slot games are subject to change at any time.