3 Card Brag and 3 Card Poker are both variants of poker that you can play. They have some similarities, but they are different. Because of this similarity, many people may confuse them for each other or classic poker.
So, to learn what kind of games they are and how they are different, keep reading this Wizard Slots blog post.
What Is 3 Card Brag?
3 Card Brag, also known as Brag, is a British gambling game known to have originated from informal games outside casinos. It involves a standard deck of 52 cards and can be played without a formal dealer.
Originally, the 3 Card Brag game would be played among friends at homes, in pubs, or outside casinos, and each person would become a dealer in rotation. However, if you play it at casinos, there likely will be a dealer.
Like 3 Card poker, 3 Card Brag is a variant of poker that is relatively new to some online casinos. As the name suggests, the game is played with three cards instead of five cards, as you would in regular poker.
Is Poker The Same As Brag?
No, 3 Card poker and Brag are two very distinct games. Although they both can use a 52-deck card, they have different hand values, different betting structures and different numbers of cards. They also use different terminology for their card rankings.
As mentioned, if playing 3 Card Brag, the punters will receive 3 cards, whereas, in poker, they can have up to five cards.
The most significant similarity between these two card games is that they involve a fair amount of bluffing between players, and the winner tends to have the highest-ranking hand.
What’s The Difference Between 3 Card Poker & 3 Card Brag?
At first glance, 3 Card Poker and 3 Card Brag may seem like they are the same thing. However, these two games have noticeable differences as much as they do similarities. For example, they both look like derivatives of traditional poker, typically using a 52-card deck and dealing three cards to each player.
However, 3 Card poker has a similar card ranking to classic poker than 3 Card Brag, save for the pairs. In addition, both games have ante and pair wagers. However, the rules of 3 Card Brag and the card rankings are slightly different. Below are the different card rankings in order of highest to lowest.
3 Card Poker card rankings:
- Straight Flush: Three cards of the same suit but different and consecutive ranks. For example, if you have a 5 of Hearts (H), 6H, and 7H, you have a straight Flush. However, the Ace, King, and Queen are the highest-ranking Straight Flush.
- Three-of-a-kind: A hand with three cards of the same rank. For example, an Ace of Spades (AS), Ace of Diamonds (AD), or Ace of Hearts (AH).
- Straight: three consecutive cards of mixed suits.
- Flush: A hand with three cards of the same suit. For example, an Ace of Spades (AS), King of Spades (KS), or Queen of Spades (QS).
- Pair: A hand that has 2 cards of the same rank. For example, a Queen of Hearts (QH), Queen of Clubs (QC), and an AH.
- High card: A High card hand is any of the combinations not mentioned above. It is the least-ranking card.
3 Card Brag card rankings:
- Prial: A hand with three cards of equal rank. The highest ranking Prial is made of 3.
- Running Flush: Three cards of the same suit in a sequence. For example, an AS, 2S or 3S.
- Run: Three cards of any suit in a sequence. For example, a 3-Hearts, 4-Spades, or 5-Clubs
- Flush: Three cards of the same suit but not in a sequence. For example, 6, Ace, 9 of Hearts.
- Pair: At least 2 cards must be of the same rank.
- High Card
Can You Play 3 Card Brag In A Casino?
Yes, you can play the 3 Card Brag game in some online and land-based casinos in the UK. However, it is still relatively new to casinos, so not all casinos may have them in their game catalogue.
The rules, betting, and payout potentials may also differ depending on the casino. For example, all casinos typically offer the ante bet, which is a bet you have to make to play the game.
However, some may or may not include the Pair Plus bet, which acts as a side bet and is not compulsory. Additionally, in a casino setting, especially in an online casino, it may be just you and the dealer with no other players.
*All values (Bet Levels, Maximum Wins, etc.) mentioned in relation to this game are subject to change at any time.