Go Back

Is 3 Card Poker a Good Game To Play & Is It Profitable?

Is 3 Card Poker a Good Game To Play & Is It Profitable?

3 Card Poker is one of the most popular poker games to play because of its fast-paced, straightforward and exciting gameplay. 

This Wizard Slots blog post will guide you through everything you need to know about 3 Card Poker, including whether it is profitable and a good game to play.

What Is 3 Card Poker?

3 Card Poker is a card table game. It’s a poker game that may appeal as an option for beginners to start with as it is more fast-paced and less complicated to learn than other poker game variations.

In 3 Card Poker, the player makes an ante bet and an optional pair plus bet before the dealer hands out 3 face-down cards to each player and himself. Once the players have looked at their cards, they have the choice to continue or fold. 

If a player chooses to fold, the game ends, and the dealer collects the ante bet and the pair plus bet. If a player chooses to continue with their hand, they must place a play bet, which is equal to the ante bet. 3 Card Poker is played against the dealer, not the other players at the table. Choosing to play means all cards are turned over to see if the player has a better hand than the dealer. The person who has the strongest hand wins.

The pair plus bet is determined separately. It is a side bet on the player’s cards being a pair or better. Even if the player loses the game round, they can receive a payout on this bet if they have a pair or better.

What Are The Odds of Winning 3-Card Poker? 

Of course, like with all casino games, the odds of winning 3 Card Poker are slightly better for the casino because of the built-in house edge. The odds for a player to win is 44.91%, and for the dealer to win is 55.03%. The chance of the game ending in a tie is 0.06%.

The house edge for 3 Card Poker is around 3.70%. The weakest hand you can get is a High Card, and the strongest hand is a Mini Royal Flush of an Ace, King and Queen of the same suit. 

Is There Any Strategy To 3 Card Poker? 

3 Card Poker is a decision-based game where you only need to remember 3 cards.

The basic strategy says you should play on a hand of Queen, 6 and 4, and fold all hands lower than this. Other than this, 3 Card Poker is a game of chance. There’s no strategy that can change or eliminate the house edge.

Is 3 Card Poker a Good Game To Play? 

Whether 3 Card Poker is a good game to play depends on a player’s personal preference. A potential con of 3 Card Poker is that it is one of the lesser-known variants of poker, so you may not find many 3 Card Poker tables at the casino, and there may not be as many options online. 

Poker games like Texas Hold’em are a lot more widely known. Knowing how to play 3 Card Poker also requires learning different rules to other poker games, which some players may not like.

On the contrary, there are so many pros of 3 Card Poker. Although there are new rules to learn, 3 Card Poker is actually one of the more straightforward poker games and is popular among poker novices. 

Additionally, the games are a lot more fast-paced than other poker games, and you play against the dealer rather than against other players. 

Is 3 Card Poker Profitable? 

It is possible to win at 3 Card Poker, and the odds of winning are around 50%. Well, the precise odds for the player winning is 44.91%, meaning the casino has a slight advantage. This statistical advantage is known as the house edge, and it’s important to remember that, in the long run, the house always wins

The potential payouts available in 3 Card Poker depend on the winning hand and the dealer’s hand. However, the side bet payouts are as follows:

Pair Plus Odds

  • Straight Flush: 40:1
  • Three-of-a-kind: 30:1
  • Straight: 6:1
  • Flush: 3:1
  • Pair: 1:1

Ultimately, 3 Card Poker, like all casino games, is intended as a form of entertainment, not a way to make money. So, the focus should be on enjoyment rather than profit. Please gamble responsibly and never bet money you aren’t comfortable losing.

*All values (Bet Levels, Maximum Wins, etc.) mentioned in relation to this game are subject to change at any time.