Go Back

Is Baccarat A Game Of Skill Or Chance?

Is Baccarat A Game Of Skill Or Chance?

Baccarat is a card game that shares similarities with blackjack but is an exciting casino game in its own right.

Most players shy away from the game because they assume that baccarat is complicated. For example, is baccarat a game of skill or chance? Your only task is placing a bet on a hand you think will win.

There are more rules on how to play baccarat, and this Wizard Slots blog post will cover some of them below.

Is There Any Skill To Baccarat?

Baccarat doesn’t involve any skill, as it’s a game of chance. At its core, baccarat is a guessing game. Your task is to pick one of two hands that you think will win before they’re dealt; the hands are called the Banker and the Player. You can also bet on the possible outcome being a tie. The winning hand is the one with a total closer to 9.

You can calculate your points as follows:

  • Face cards (K, Q, & J) are each worth 0.
  • Cards ranging from 2 to 10 are worth face value.
  • Aces are worth 1 point.

A series of playing cards are dealt for the two hands after the player has placed a bet on which hand they think will reach closest to 9. 

If a hand reaches double digits, only the second digit is used. For example, a hand totalling 14 is actually worth 4, and one totalling 18 is worth 8.

What Are The Odds Of Winning Baccarat?

Some players believe that baccarat is the table game with the best odds. Sure, the 1.06% house edge of the Banker hand and the 1.24% house edge of the Player hand are both higher than blackjack’s 0.5% but lower than American roulette’s 5.26% edge.

The Banker hand has a higher likelihood of winning at 45.8%. Conversely, the Player hand has a 44.6% chance, while ties have a 9.6% chance. Since the Banker hand has a lower house edge, a commission of 5% is usually taken from any winning Banker bets and goes to the house

However, remember that baccarat is a game of chance, so no outcome is guaranteed.

Can You Beat Baccarat?

There is no way to beat baccarat; it’s a game of chance, so you may win, or you may lose. However, the casino always wins in the long run. This is because every casino game, including baccarat, has a house edge

House edge is a built-in advantage in favour of the casino in table games. It’s a small percentage that results in profit for the casino in the long run. 

Of course, there isn’t a strategy you can use to beat the game. So, instead, it’s best to remember that it’s a form of entertainment, and the aim should never be to make a profit. Please gamble responsibly and play within your means.

*All values (Bet Levels, Maximum Wins etc.) mentioned in relation to this game are subject to change at any time.