Slot volatility can be one of the key factors in determining the characteristics of UK casino slots. Knowing how volatile a slot is can help you decide which online slots you want to play. In this blog post, we will be telling you everything you need to know about slot volatility. We’ll also share some of the best high, medium, and low volatility real money slot games.
What Is Slot Volatility?
Volatility is a slots term used to describe the theoretical behaviour of the slot; it gives an indication as to the win frequency and win size you can expect when playing a slot machine. It can also help you to decide whether a slot is right for you. However, it’s important to note that discussions around volatility are theoretical as it is based upon the observed behaviour of the slot following simulations of thousands, or even millions, of slots spins. So, in practice, the results may differ.
You can usually find the volatility of a slot by looking at the slot’s paytable or the developer’s website. The volatility will be low, medium, or high. You may also see some mobile slots labelled as “low-medium” or “medium-high”. If you can’t find the slot’s volatility, you could have a go at playing the slot and test it out for yourself or search “slot name + volatility” into a search engine, and you should find your answer!
There are many reasons why players would choose high volatility slots over low volatility slots and vice versa. It’s all down to personal preference, and there isn’t necessarily one that’s better! Let’s now look at high, medium, and low volatility online casino slots, their advantages and disadvantages, and a few of our top slot recommendations.
High Volatility Slots
High volatility slots are favoured by players who want a slot that offers higher max wins. Slots with high volatility tend to pay out less frequently, but when wins do land, they are likely to be bigger, in theory. The best thing about these slots is they usually have generous prizes, jackpots, and bonus features. Possible downsides to slots with high volatility are that it can be difficult to trigger bonus features, and wins don’t come around as often.
- Fishin’ Frenzy - Fishin’ Frenzy is an exciting fishing-themed slot by Pragmatic Play. It has 5 reels, 10 paylines and a potential maximum win of 5,000x your bet. Fishin’ Frenzy has a range of bonus features. These include a Free Spins feature where you can win up to 20 extra spins and a gamble feature.
- Primate King - Primate King is a Red Tiger Gaming slot with 6 reels and 30 paylines. It has an animal theme, with the reels set in a jungle setting. This slot has a maximum winning potential of 3,800x your bet.
- Gates of Olympus - Gates of Olympus is a Pragmatic Play slot with a Greek God theme. It’s a cluster pays slot where wins are formed by matching cluster symbols. It also has a Free Spins feature that rewards 15 extra spins with up to 100x your stake. The top prize is up to 50,000x your stake.
Medium Volatility Slots
Medium volatility slots are a good mix of high and low volatility slots. Slots with medium volatility are likely to land wins reasonably often and award moderate-sized wins, in theory. They also generally have good bonus features and generous cash prizes. Although the top prizes may not be as big as high volatility slots, it could be easier to trigger bonus features with medium volatility slots.
- Rainbow Riches Pick N Mix - Rainbow Riches Pick N Mix is an Irish-themed slot with brightly coloured leprechauns, rainbows, and pots of gold covering the reels. It has 5 reels, 20 paylines, and a number of bonus features, including a road to riches feature, pots of gold feature, magic toadstools feature, cash crop feature, and Free Spins feature.
- Bronco Spirit - Bronco Spirit is a North American-themed slot with 5 reels and 75 fixed paylines. It has an exciting progressive wilds feature where the golden bronco can transform into wilds and a Free Spins feature where you can potentially unlock up to 45 extra spins.
- Mustang Gold - Mustang Gold is a Pragmatic Play slot with 5 reels and 25 paylines. One exciting bonus feature is the Free Spins feature, which can be triggered by landing 3 campfire symbols for 8 extra spins. Mustang Gold also has a jackpot feature.
Low Volatility Slots
Low volatility slots usually offer more frequent yet smaller wins than higher volatility slots, in theory. Perhaps the biggest disadvantage is that the top prize is normally lower on these slots. Slots with low volatility are preferred by many players due to not waiting as long for a win to land compared to higher volatility slots.
- Starburst - Starburst is an online casino classic! It is a 5 reel and 10 payline slot with a retro space theme. Some of the features in Starburst include win both ways, wilds, and respins that can be retriggered up to 3 times.
- Bomb Bonanza - Bomb Bonanza is a mining-themed slot where you go hunting for golden nuggets! You will need to collect nuggets to access each of the 4 levels. Here, you will find expanding wilds that can grow up to 5x5 and extra spins.
- Aloha! Cluster Pays - Aloha! Cluster Pays is a cluster pays slot by Net Ent. It has a Hawaii theme with beautiful tropical graphics. The main feature in this slot is the sticky cluster symbols feature. Every time you find a cluster of symbols, sticky clusters will activate. This means that the slots symbols will stay sticky while you take a re-spin. There’s also a Free Spins feature, symbol drop feature, and a chance to win up to 2000x your stake.
What Is The Best Slot Volatility?
There isn’t one best slot volatility. It’s all down to personal preference and what you are looking to get out of your slot gaming experience. Those with a smaller budget and wanting to prolong gameplay are perhaps more suited to slots with low volatility. These are also great for new players as they theoretically offer more frequent - albeit smaller - wins.
Those who do not mind waiting for a potential win and prefer playing slots with big jackpot prizes may prefer to choose slots with high volatility. The chances of winning are much lower, but the prizes are bigger. Opt for slots with medium volatility if you want the best of both.
Remember, this is how the slots behave in theory. In a shorter session, the outcome may be different in practice.
Slot Volatility FAQ
Is High or Low Volatility Better In Slots?
Neither is better. Every slot player has their preferences. If you prefer the chance for smaller, more frequent wins, you may want to go for low volatility slots. Opt for high volatility slots if you prefer the likelihood of larger, less frequent wins. Remember, wins are never guaranteed regardless of their volatility.
How Do I Choose a Low Volatility Slot?
To find a low volatility slot, look at the slots paytable. Here, you will see whether it has low volatility. A few of our favourite slots with low volatility include Starburst, Bomb Bonanza, and Aloha Cluster Pays.
Which Slot Machines are High Volatility?
To find a high volatility slot, look at the slot’s paytable. Here, you will see whether it has high volatility. A few of our favourite slots with high volatility include Fishin’ Frenzy, Primate King, and Gates of Olympus.
How Is Slot Volatility Calculated?
Calculating the volatility of a slot can be incredibly difficult. Fortunately, software developers do the calculations for you! They simulate an extremely high number of games and then assess the slot’s behaviour as an average. You can expect the slot to be categorised as low, medium, or high.
*All values (Bet Levels, Maximum Wins etc.) mentioned in relation to these slot games are subject to change at any time.